Pork Mole with Roja - Recipe
Pork Mole with Roja
Boneless country style pork ribs simmered in a pressure cooker with a mole full of deep rich flavor layers of red chile sauce with ground almonds, raisins, cocoa powder, UR Roja Hot Sauce and a surprise!
- 3 lbs boneless country style pork ribs, cut in 3/4” cubes and dusted with Trim Tabb’s Pig Powder or favorite rub
- 1 c red chile sauce*
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, chopped
- 2 cloves or 1 t garlic, minced
- ½ t cinnamon & ½ t cumin
- ¼ t each of ground cloves, oregano & coriander
- 1 t chile powder
- 1/3 c almonds, finely chopped
- ¼ c raisins
- 2 T cocoa powder
- one 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 T Underwood Ranches Roja Hot Sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 T Nutella Hazelnut Spread with Cocoa
- *Red chile sauce – remove stems and seeds from 5 dried chiles (I used California chiles – Anaheim’s); soak in hot water for about 30 minutes till soft. Pulverize chiles with the liquid in a blender until smooth; strain through a sieve and add water if needed to make 1 cup. Set aside.
- In a skillet, saute the onion, jalapeno and garlic until soft. Add spices into the center of the skillet and then stir into the sauteed vegetables.
- Add the chopped almonds, red chile sauce, raisins and cocoa powder to the skillet and stir until the mixture thickens. Add a little water if the mixture becomes too thick. Turn off heat and let cool slightly.
- In a blender, add the tomatoes, UR Roja and the skillet mixture. Puree mole until smooth and add salt & pepper to taste.
- Brown pork cubes in olive oil in an instant pot or pressure cooker; add the mole from the blender, cover and pressure cook on High for 40 minutes. Remove lid, break up pork pieces, stir in 2 T Nutella and serve over rice. Garnish with grated almonds and chocolate.