Pozole Roja - Recipe
Serves 8-10 happy people
Boneless pork country style rib meat simmered in a pressure cooker of red chile sauce with onions, poblanos, hominy and UR Roja Sauce. Tremendous flavors!!
- 3 lbs boneless country style pork ribs, cut in 1” cubes and dusted with Trim Tabb’s Pig Powder or favorite rub
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 poblanos peppers, chopped
- 8 cloves or 4 t garlic, minced
- 1T cumin
- 2 c red chile sauce*
- 4 c low sodium chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 t salt and 1 t black pepper
- 2 t Mexican oregano
- 1 t smoked paprika
- 4 T Underwood Ranches Roja Hot Sauce
- 5-6 c hominy, drained
- ½ c cilantro, chopped
- Garnishes – shredded cabbage, sliced radishes, avocado, cilantro, cotija cheese, lime wedges, tortilla chips
- *Red chile sauce – remove stems and seeds from 10 dried chiles (I used California chiles – Anaheims), soak in hot water for about 30 minutes till soft. Pulverize chiles with the liquid in a blender until smooth; strain through a sieve and add water if needed to make 2 cups.
- Brown pork pieces in olive oil in an instant pot or pressure cooker; remove meat.
- Add onion, poblanos, garlic, cumin and cook til soft.
- Add red chile sauce and saute for 10 minutes. Add pork, chicken broth, bay leaves, salt, pepper, oregano, paprika, and UR Roja.
- Pressure cook on High for 30 minutes, remove lid (you can break up pork pieces a little if so desired), add hominy and pressure cook for 10 minutes more.
- Stir in cilantro and serve with garnishes!