Black Eyed Peas - Recipe
Black-Eyed Peas for New Year’s
A traditional meal served on New Year’s Day with rice, collard greens, cornbread and applesauce. Time for some good fortune!!
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 T garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 T Underwood Ranches Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce
- 1 lb dry black-eyed peas, soaked*
- 1 meaty smoked ham shank or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 3 c low sodium chicken broth
- 2 c water
- ½ t black pepper
- In a 6 qt pressure cooker with a Saute/Brown mode, add oil and chopped onion and cook until onion softens.
- Stir in garlic, jalapeno, and UR Carolina Gold.
- Add soaked* black-eyed peas, bay leaves and black pepper. (*Dry peas are rinsed, covered with water for a few hours and then drained for use.)
- Place ham shank in the pot and then cover with chicken broth and water.
- Cook at High Pressure for 25 minutes and then release pressure.
- Remove ham shank from pot and cut meat off the bones and return the meat to the pot.
- Simmer for a few more minutes until the broth thickens a little. Serve over rice and add more Carolina Gold as needed.