Spicy Fennel Pasta - Recipe
Spicy Fennel Pasta
Bibimbap enhances the light licorice flavor of the fennel for a vegetarian main dish or serve with Italian sausage. Use toasted anise seed to create a deeper flavor.
- 2 T olive oil
- 2.5 c of ¼” sliced fennel (about 2-3 fennel bulbs)
- 1 onion or 3 shallots, sliced thin
- 1 t anise seed, toasted and ground
- 1 jalapeno, chopped fine
- 2 t minced garlic
- 8 oz fettucine pasta
- 2 c white wine
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 T Underwood Ranches Bibimbap Sauce
- ½ c Italian parsley, chopped
- ½ c pine nuts, toasted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 c parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Prepare fennel bulbs – Wash and trim bulbs; cut in half and then remove and discard tough cores. Cut into ¼” wide slices.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet and add onion (or shallots) with the sliced fennel.
- Sauté for about 10 minutes on medium high until fennel starts to brown and soften.
- Add anise seed, jalapeno and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in up to 2 cups of white wine, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook favorite pasta in a separate pot until al dente, drain and reserve about 1 c of the pasta water. Add a little olive oil to the cooked pasta and keep warm.
- Remove lid from the fennel and continue cooking until most of liquid is absorbed. Stir in lemon juice, Bibimbap, parsley and pine nuts. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add pasta to fennel mixture, stir in ½ c of the parmesan and pasta water as needed to create a sauce.
- Toss pasta and transfer to a large serving bowl. Sprinkle with the rest of the parmesan cheese and extra pine nuts and parsley.