Savory Chile Cheese Lima Beans - Recipe
Savory Chile Cheese Lima Beans
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 lb dry large lima beans (6 cups cooked limas)
- 2 – 14.5 oz cans of low sodium chicken broth
- 6 poblano chiles or three 4 oz cans of whole green chiles
- ½ t basil
- ½ t oregano
- 8 to 12 oz block of Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 1/4” slices
- 3 T Underwood Ranches Verde Hot Sauce
- 3/4 cup sour cream (plus more for garnish)
- paprika for garnish
- Italian parsley for garnish
- Dry Lima Bean Prep: Soak beans overnight in about 8 cups of water, drain and cook with chicken broth and fresh water to cover for about 1.5 to 2 hours til tender (or use 6 cups of canned lima beans). Retain 1.5 cups of the cooked bean liquid. Add water as needed.
- Chile Prep: Broil till charred and blistered – about 10 minutes. After charring, place chiles in a paper bag or cover with foil which will retain moisture and steam to loosen the charred skin. Remove the skin, deseed and cut into ½” strips.
- Preheat oven to 325. Spread about 2 cups of prepared lima beans into a 9×13 casserole pan (or about 3 qt size).
- Sprinkle with ½ of basil and oregano herbs. Layer with 1/2 of the prepared chiles.
- Cover with 1/3 of the cheese slices. Repeat with another layer of lima beans, herbs, chile and cheese.
- Top with remaining beans and cheese.
- Stir retained bean liquid into sour cream and UR Verde Hot Sauce til smooth. Add salt to taste.
- Pour mixture over the layered casserole and bake uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes. Mixture will be bubbly and will be absorbed more by the beans if it sits for about 10 minutes out of the oven. You can broil the top of the cheese layer for more browning if desired.
- Garnish with parsley, paprika, additional sour cream and Verde. Awesome served in a sourdough bread bowl. A Hearty Inexpensive Meal!!