Roasted Delicata Squash - Recipe
Roasted Delicata Squash
- 2 lbs delicata squash (2 medium)
- 2 T butter, melted
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T brown sugar, packed
- 2-3 T UR Spicy BBQ Sauce
- ¼ t black pepper
- ½ t salt
- 1 jalapeno, diced fine
- Cilantro and cotija cheese for toppings
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix together melted butter, oil, brown sugar, Spicy BBQ Sauce, black pepper, salt and diced jalapeno for a glaze. Set aside.
- Begin preparation of delicata squash by thoroughly washing and drying them.
- Cut off the ends of the squash and then cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and loose strands. (No peeling necessary.)
- Place squash cut side down and cut across in ½” increments to obtain half rings and place them in a bowl.
- From the glaze made in step #2, set aside ¼ c for use later. Add the rest to the bowl of delicata rings and stir to coat.
- Line 1 or 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and lay out each separate half ring on the sheets.
- Roast the squash rings for about 15 to 20 minutes and then flip each one over.
- Brush the squash rings with the remaining glaze and return to roast for about 7 to 8 minutes.
- The delicata will start to brown. You can broil for about 2 to 3 minutes to caramelize the sugars in the squash and enhance the flavors.
- Remove from the oven and taste for salt. Can serve over wild rice and top with chopped cilantro and crumbled cotija cheese. You can also serve the delicata squash rings over salad greens with dried cranberries and pepita seeds.