All American Summer Dogs - Recipe
All American Summer Dogs
8 hot dogs (your favorite kind)
3/4 to 1 lb ground beef
8 strips of bacon
Underwood Ranches Sauces
Favorite dry rub
8 Hot dog buns
1. Split hot dogs lengthwise, but leave the ends of the dogs intact. Run your finger down the split to widen it and open it up a little.
2. Squirt 2 or 3 healthy doses (about 2 tbsp) of UR Spicy Barbecue and a couple of vigorous shakes of dry rub into the ground beef.
3. Mash together the ground beef mixture and then shape into 8 meatballs.
4. Stuff one meatball evenly into the open split area of a hot dog. Repeat for the other dogs.
5. Wrap one piece of bacon (I prefer the thin bacon for this) around a hot dog, starting at the top and winding your way to the other end. No need for toothpicks, but you can tuck in the ends of the bacon if needed.
Repeat for the other dogs.
6. Smoke, grill, broil or bake. I smoke them on a pellet grill for about 30 minutes around 160-170 degrees and then for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees until the ground beef reaches 140-145 degrees and bacon is crispy. You can bake them on a rack over a baking sheet in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes till almost done or grill at 375 for about 25 minutes.
7. Squirt UR Carolina Gold on the hot dogs and brush to coat both sides.
8. Grill or bake a couple of minutes till the sauce bakes in and caramelizes a little.
9. Toast your buns. (I like brioche.)
10. Assemble the dogs, adding more UR Carolina Gold, UR Spicy Barbecue and UR Sriracha sauces.
11. A Summer Taste Sensation!